Mandy Mission

"And this is the account of Sister Amanda Carter and her brethren, their journeyings in the land of Western New York, their sufferings in the land, their sorrows, and their afflictions, and their incomprehensible joy..." (Alma 28:8)

Monday, October 3, 2011

Transfer to Marion

Dear Family,

Yay for Conference! I sure loved every minute of it this time around. I don't know why but on my mission I can feel my spirit react differently to spiritual experiences then I did at home. It always has somewhat of a "draining" effect, but it always motivates me and inspires to me to do good and to be better. If there is anything I have learned this last 14 and half months the wrestle we go through, not only with THE spirit but with OUR spirit. The natural man always seems to want to take control but being on a mission, and away from all the things of the world, it seems like MY spirit- who I truly am inside- gets more of a fighting chance. It has been neat to get to know the real me, although it hasn't been an easy one.

Sounds like it has been an emotional week at home, as well as for me here. Its been an emotional rollercoaster. On Thursday we had interviews with President Christianson and about two minutes after he left we got a phone call from his Assistants. They asked Sister Chatterton to train a new missionary this transfer! Woh! What a shock! I'M GOING TO BE A GRANDMA! It was a little overwhelming for both of us (I don't know why I was freaking out so bad- she's the one who has only been out for two transfers!), we both just sat on the bed and cried together. She's feeling overwhelmed and I think the sadness of leaving this area had finally hit me. I've served in Rochester my whole mission, this is where my heart is. Plus, Sister Chatterton has been such a wonderful companion to me, and its hard to see your baby grow up and move on without you :). But here's the worse part... I then had to wait FOUR WHOLE DAYS to find out where I was going to be transfered to. I have been a nervous wreck all week (you would think that I would just be use to this kind of stuff by now). We finally got the call last night... and I am going to Marion (which is an area in Palmyra) to serve with a sister named Sister Lee. AH! Its hard to convey feelings because you don't really know any of the areas or missionaries but I'll just try to give you a glimpse into my brain. Palmyra is such a hard area. Its been tracted over MANY times. Everyone knows Mormon missionaries in Palmyra, its like going to Rome and and trying to teach people about the Vatican. I am excited, and nervous, to get to know Sister Lee. She just came out (same time as Sister Chatterton), she is from Hong Kong. She's really really quiet. Hopefully I can get her to open up a little bit. I would love to tell you that I am such an exceptional missionary that when I got the call last night that I respond with, "I will go and do the things which the Lord commands". But I mostly just sat on our balcony and bawled my eyes out, in anger, all night. I'm feeling a little bit better this morning though. Still terrified, but I'm going to just do the best I can. That is really all I can do. I know the Lord is in His work, and I'm just going to have to trust that right now. I keep thinking about how much I really didn't want to go to Webster in the beginning. I viewed the people as somewhat "rich snobs", but as I labored among them, my vision cleared and I began to see the area like the Lord sees it, and because of Him, we were able to see miracles in a place that hadn't seen them in awhile. So, right now is just the leap of faith. Leaping in faith that this is where I'm suppose to be and that miracles can still be had if I just strengthen my faith. The best part of these experiences are the end. Looking back and seeing the love you were able to develop, from nothing. That in and of itself is a miracle.

I'm so grateful that Kyle was able to leave this week for Japan. My heart still hurts that his hearing hasn't come back. My testimony echos that of yours, though. As Sister Chatterton and I were reading the Book of Mormon this week a specific verse struck my heart with force. When the Savior comes to the Americas He admonishes the people, "Have ye any that are sick among you? Bring them hither. Have ye any that are lame, or blind, or halt, or maimed, or leprous, or that are withered, or that are deaf, or that are afflicted in any manner? Bring them hither and I will heal them..." (3 Nephi 17:7). Unfortunately the Savior doesn't give a time frame on when He will heal us. My favorite talk this week was probably the talk by Elder Quentin L. Cook (a lot of it had to do with the fact that he talked about TITANIC most of the time!!! :)). I loved that he talked about how bad things still happen to good people. How sometimes life just isn't fair. But all is made right through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Sometimes it hurts my soul to think of all the things that have happened to our family in this time I have been gone, but I still love the Lord. I know He is mindful of us and our family. He still wants to bless us. He just needs us to hold on a little longer.
"There is no chance, no fate, no destiny, that can circumvent or hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul."

I love you all... so much. You mean everything to me. Hopefully all will go well this week and both Kyle and I will be writing to you from a new location :). Just know that my prayers are with you, especially with Atreyu right now. Keep me updated on how his face is healing.

Love always, Sister Carter