Mandy Mission

"And this is the account of Sister Amanda Carter and her brethren, their journeyings in the land of Western New York, their sufferings in the land, their sorrows, and their afflictions, and their incomprehensible joy..." (Alma 28:8)

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Great friends and examples

Cade St. Pierre

Sister Carter, her "baby" and "grandbaby"

District

After clogging

At the Whitmer Farm


Tanya's baptism

Dear Family,

I'm glad that you got my camera card! I always pray those things aren't going to get lost in the mail. I'm glad that you liked the clogging routine and Sister Stoker and I's Sister Missionary Barbie Act. It was such a blast to get to live with those sisters and get form friendships with them. There is one thing that I will FOREVER be grateful for on my mission, and that is the people that I've met and the friendships that I have made. I've met some of my greatest heroes out here. People I would have never met if I had not decided to serve a mission.

Well.... Its kinda been a crazy week. Some parts good and some parts a little bit harder. We've been able to talk with a lot of people but getting them to progress or getting them to show up for their appointments is hard. Free agency stinks.... Okay, not all the time. Just when people don't do the right thing with it :). We have been able to see some miracles, though. Cade , the little boy I was teaching in the Webster ward, got baptized this weekend. I wasn't able to go because it was too far away but Sister Chatterton informed me that everything went well and that the family was so proud of him and that he said that he felt "clean" when he got out of the water. He's such a sweet little boy.

We have an investigator right now, named Bro. C, who is one of the most humble sincere men that I have ever met. He was at a park a couple months ago, out with one of his friends drinking a beer, when he saw some Sister missionaries on a bench reading the Book of Mormon. He wanted to know what they were do so he went over to talk with them and they ended up getting him to refer himself to the missionaries serving here in Marion. He LOVES the gospel. He is completely illiterate, can't read or write hardly at all but he loves the Book of Mormon! We gave him one of the pictures books with a caption underneath and he works hard, every day, to try to read a couple of those captions. He has completely been transformed by the gospel of Jesus Christ. Last night, at sunset, we walked up with him to the top of the Hill Cumorah and he was so excited when we got to the top. He told us that he never would have been able to make it, had he not have given up tobacco and alcohol. He is so ready to get baptized but he still has to get some things worked out, but he has faith that the Lord will allow him to get baptized when it is time.

So lots of events this week... Seeing Kris' family. That was fun (kinda bizarre though, to mix home with mission). We also had a mission conference at the Peter Whitmer Farm, where all the missionaries were called together so we could have a testimony meeting about our experiences finishing the Book of Mormon in our six week transfer. It was awesome. This weekend we're having our Open House at the church. We're having all of the auxiliaries come to explain what we do and what we have to offer to the community. President Christianson is even coming to do a devotional. We're crossing our fingers that it goes well!!!

So lots of good things happening. Just taking it one day at a time. Well I sure love you family! You're the best, ever.

Love always, Sister Carter

P.S. My P-day has been switched to Tuesday just so you are aware :)