Mandy Mission

"And this is the account of Sister Amanda Carter and her brethren, their journeyings in the land of Western New York, their sufferings in the land, their sorrows, and their afflictions, and their incomprehensible joy..." (Alma 28:8)

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Walking Where Joseph Walked

Dear family,

Thank you for all of your letters of encouragement! I'm sorry that my last email may have been a little dramatic ( :) But when am I not dramatic?), but you've got to know the bitter to know the sweet right? It has been one of the longest weeks of my life! Probably because change is just hard to get use to. But it has been a rewarding one, and I feel like I'm starting to get use to things.

Marion is great!! There are three different areas in Palmyra and I just happen to be in the one that is flourishing the most! They have SO much work going on here. Our whole entire week is completely booked (that is what I get for judging something before I actually experience it). It is a very different type of work out here. Being in the country is so weird. Houses are so far apart and there are farmland everywhere. It is beautiful. You don't get the opportunity to talk to as many people but I feel like I have talked to more people this last week than I have my whole mission combine. People are so friendly and kind here! I mean, you still have the few who are jerks, but they will stand there and listen to the message you have to share and add their own comments even if they aren't really interested. Its bizarre! The country has its own set of problems that we have to deal with but we have a lot of good people progressing toward baptism so I can't help but feel very grateful.

Another cool thing that I have been able to experience this week is the feeling of being so close to the church sites. We live in an old house that was built in the 1800s, they think that the Smiths may have even helped build it. We are honestly just a block away from the Joseph Smith Farm. Every morning we run to the Sacred Grove and back. We are only about two miles away, on either side, of the Grandin Building and the Hill Cumorah. And as I walk the streets, and talk to the people around here I can't help but feel a deeper connection to Joseph. I have always felt proud that I got to be in the area that he served, but now I get to live where he did, and walk the streets that he did, pray in the same place that he did, and teach the same message that he taught. What a gift! If there is one man that I'm excited to meet some day, its him. I sure love him and am grateful for what he, and his family, did to bring back the Restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ to the world again. I'm glad I can help share that message in any way that I can.

So things here are good. They aren't perfect, I still have my moments. But it will be a good place to end my mission. Sister Lee is awesome. She is really quiet and shy, and I kinda feel like a giant around her, but she is a good missionary. She's really hard working and loves to teach people. I feel close to Kyle now with an Asian companion :). I'm glad to hear that he is doing well. I pray for him every night still. He'll get his hearing back.... I have faith. And I'm glad to hear that Atreyu's face is healing okay. Poor little baby A. I'm glad that he's not scared of Abby though. He's a tough little guy.

Well I sure love you family! Until next week...

Love always, Sister Carter