Mandy Mission

"And this is the account of Sister Amanda Carter and her brethren, their journeyings in the land of Western New York, their sufferings in the land, their sorrows, and their afflictions, and their incomprehensible joy..." (Alma 28:8)

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Open House

Dear Family

This past week has been a crazy one!! We were trying to get the Open House all set up and going and I learned how much time and effort it takes to put on an event like that! It really did look great in the end. Each room in the church was full of people and displays to explain all of the different auxilaries and programs the church offers. In the Cultural Hall we set up tables with TONS of finger foods, with Mormon messages being projected on the wall, and a table with referral cards and literature people could take with them. That went on for about two hours and then President Christianson came to speak about the Sacrament in the Chapel. It was a great climax to the evening. Everything went really well and we were all really pleased at the end of it. The ward saw that we were willing to try and think outside the box and the community was able to understand a little bit more about our church.
That kind of took up most of the week. We had a really great lesson with Bro. Copp. We took him to the Smith Farm and gave him the first lesson, on the Restoration. We taught most of the lesson in the Welcome Center, until we got to the point of the Apostasy. Then we took him out to the Smith log home and taught him about the first vision and restoration. We ended our lesson by walking into the grove and praying together to know if the events that happened there really did happen. It is a strange thing to be relaying the story of Jospeh Smith to people, by saying "In 1820 there was a young boy that lived.... well, here, actually...... who had a question about all of the different religions." I feel like its unbelieveable to people. They kinda think that our church is just a local church, they don't realize that this gospel HAS SPREAD THE EARTH! That this is the truth, and all they have to do is look outside in their backyard to where it all began again.
We had a leadership training with President Christianson yesterday where he shared this video that completely changed my vision on what we're doing out here as missionaries:
Missionary Work and the Atonement
The more I'm out here the more I realize, that after these 18 months are done...its not over. We're at war. We've picked sides. Sometimes I'm tired, and I feel like I can't take another step, or knock another door, or get rejected by one more person, and I long to be home. But this work never stops. Some day I wont be a set apart missionary anymore, but this badge I wear doesn't just cover my heart, it has been branded into it. I will always be a missionary. I will always proclaim His truth because that is what I have been called to do.
Thanks for sending pictures of little A's birthday! He's a little boy now! I can't wait to see him soon. Tell Abby that I wish her a happy birthday as well (I'd send a card but she'd probably just eat it). I love you all! Until next week....

Love always, Sister Carter