Mandy Mission

"And this is the account of Sister Amanda Carter and her brethren, their journeyings in the land of Western New York, their sufferings in the land, their sorrows, and their afflictions, and their incomprehensible joy..." (Alma 28:8)

Monday, September 26, 2011

I knew clogging would come in handy one day!

Dear Family,

OH NO!!! I can't believe that Kyle's hearing loss is so severe!! I guess I didn't think it was that bad! How scary. Poor little Boppy. My heart hurts for him. Sometimes it seems frustrating when things don't work out even though you're trying to do the right thing. He sounded like such a good sport in his letter though! Oh my gosh!!! I hope its not permanent!! AH! He's so easy-going that he probably doesn't even make a big deal about it. Sigh... I hope and pray that he will be able to get sent out on his mission next week. There is probably not much more discouraging than feeling like you need to be somewhere that you're not. When Mom got sick, I continually read the scripture in D&C that says, "Be still, and know that I am God". Sometimes I feel like Nephi, "I know that he loveth his children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things." He love us. I guess, through trials, that is the source of truth that we can hold unto.

Here in New York things have been marvelous. You were able to see the 5k that we participated in this weekend. SUCH a blast! People from all over came to help raise money for the "House of Mercy". It has been fun to get ready for it and to be able to enjoy the Fall scenery and just enjoy the sound of running shoes hitting the pavement. There is no sound quite like it. Sister Stoker and I were also able to change Site History this week. Every week we meet together to have a Site Meeting at the Hill Cumorah. Usually there are trainings and musical numbers that we get to listen to, kinda like a fireside at home. Well this week Sister Stoker and I put on a "VERY special Musical Number". WE DID A CLOG ROUTINE!!! That is right! A CLOGGING ROUTINE! HA! It was great! Sister Stoker and I have always wanted to do a clogging routine, ever since we were companions together, and the Site Directors asked us to do one for Site Meeting but to make it a surprise. I can promise that a clog routine has never been done before in a meeting like that. It was great! It wasn't the best dance ever (mostly because I haven't clogged in 10 years!), but we mostly just acted out missionary work with a few clog steps in between. We "knocked on doors", we "took tours", "referral called", handed out pamphlets, and at the end I leaped into Sister Stoker's arms and as she spun me around I threw pass along cards to the audience! It was epic. I have it all taped on my camera card so hopefully I'll be able to send that to you soon. Who knew that old talent would resurface someday!

Another great thing that happened was that we got an investigator with a baptismal date this week! We set a date with little 9-year old Cade St. Peter. Cutest boy I have ever seen. He reminds me so much of Dillon Jardine! He's just this tiny little boy with these cute little glasses. He is the sweetest thing. It has been so neat to teach him, especially to pray. Hearing someone pray for the first time is one of the neatest experiences, especially little kids. So his baptismal date is set for October 15th, so we will cross our fingers and press forward.

All else is well here. Transfers are coming up this next week, which I'm a little nervous about. I only have two transfers left but I'm thinking that they're probably going to move me somewhere else. I have been in this ward for now over 8 months! I sure love it though. Serving these people for so long has just made my love for them grow deeper and I feel like they're my family out here. I have a lot of my blood, sweat, and tears in this area to leave behind. We'll see though. I'll be going where the Lord wants me to go.
Well, I sure love all of you. I will be fasting with you for Kyle tomorrow. In the words of my companion, Sister Chatterton, he's going to "kick this pig". I love this work.

Love always, Sister Carter