Mandy Mission

"And this is the account of Sister Amanda Carter and her brethren, their journeyings in the land of Western New York, their sufferings in the land, their sorrows, and their afflictions, and their incomprehensible joy..." (Alma 28:8)

Monday, August 1, 2011

"However Long and Hard the Road"

Birthday at Latchworth Park

Birthday with the Ross Family

New companion, Sister Chatterton

Biking Sisters

Dear Family,

Hmmm... where to begin? It has been another wonderful week. I'm glad that you were able to get my camera card, sometimes when I'm having a bad day I look at my pictures and remember all the joy that I have experienced. I think that will kinda be how the mission goes when its all done and over with. You will know that you went through hard times but hopefully you can just treasure the special memories that you were able to create. I'm glad that everyone is doing well at home. Kyle sounds like he's doing great in the MTC. I'm sorry that you aren't feeling too up to par, Mom. I think that when I heard you were in remission that that would mean you would be completely healthy and back on the move again. Patience is a virtue that I struggle with....:). Just know how much I love you and think about you. One of the things I'm looking forward to the most when I get home is being able to just sit and talk to all of you in the living room, and sitting out in the pool reading a book.

Well, I'm tired. Its been a good week, it went by really fast its just been a harder week. Its okay for hard weeks to come because it makes you appreciate the not-so-hard weeks but its hard learning to just take things one step at a time. Sister Chatterton and I have been praying for miracles in our area, and we've been able to see many. We've been able to get some new investigators and teach some lessons. We had one of those hard days yesterday where every appointment we had fell through but we still tried. I've never been more physically exhausted in all my life. Lots of biking and walking. It feels good to be physically tired. I feel like the mission is such a "wrestle". It is a wrestle in both mind and spirit. Your spirit wants you to go one way while your "natural man" wants to take you another. We were able to feel a little bit of peace this week when we got to the temple.... Sigh. Oh how I love the temple (can you imagine me saying that after my first experience there? :)). I find myself wishing that they could just bunk beds in the Celestial room. Wouldn't that be nice?! I wouldn't mind living there forever. Its way clean! :). There is so much peace found in its walls and I never feel closer to my Savior then when I am there.

So the work progresses forward, slowly but surely. My mind keeps reverting to that talk that you gave me Dad, "However long and hard the road" by Elder Holland (one of the best things that I've ever read), and when Elder Holland talks about Coriantumr from the Book of Mormon, when he would fight and fight and then he would get tired "and rest for a time", then he would get up and fight again. I think it is the getting up part that is the hardest :). Sister Chatterton is awesome, we have a lot of fun together and she teaches me so much about faith and obedience. I'm lucky to have her. I love being a missionary. There is no where else I'd rather be. I love the Lord, I am so ever grateful for His ultimate and infinite atoning sacrifice on behalf of me and those that I love. How in debt I am to Him! Yet, how grateful I am that we can choose Him above all else in this world.

Thanks for sending Grandpa's funeral. It has brought a lot of tears as well as a lot of closure. I feel him near, all the time. Mom, you got all of my companions hometown's right, Sister Gines goes home at the end of this month so if you're up in Logan I'm sure she'd love to meet you. Thanks for the tip on freezing bananas, Dad :). I find myself talking about you a lot these days, and how you loved me so much you learned how to braid hair :).
I love all of you! Thanks for your prayers...

Love always, Sister Carter