Mandy Mission

"And this is the account of Sister Amanda Carter and her brethren, their journeyings in the land of Western New York, their sufferings in the land, their sorrows, and their afflictions, and their incomprehensible joy..." (Alma 28:8)

Monday, July 25, 2011

PTSD

Dear Family,

I have found a love for New York and the people in it. Its got its own kind of beauty and it has become my home. I'm so glad that Kyle is doing so well! I'm so proud of that little guy! I remember being in the MTC and being FREAKED out to teach people, and I was speaking English! I can't imagine trying to do it in some other language. It sounds like he's already having experiences that are teaching him about how the spirit works and how you can rely on it during lessons. I'm glad that Grandma is doing well and remaining busy, I still pray for her and think about the family all the time. Dad, I find myself thinking about Grandpa at random moments too that brings me to tears still. I thought I would get use to the idea that he's gone by now but yesterday, during my Personal study, and I was crying at my desk, looking at his funeral program, I looked up on the wall to the picture of the Savior and it brought so much peace to my heart. I know Grandpa's happy, I just mourn for myself.

So this week has been CRAZY! First week back from pageant and into real life missionary work again. Its kinda fun to teach my new companion and about missionary work. The first day we went out we were on bicycles (my first time on bikes my whole mission!). I felt like a real Sister Missionary with my huge backpack on my back and my skirt blowing in whatever way the wind would take it. Its a good thing that garments look like biker shorts :). We went around all day on our bikes, unfortuantly it was the hottest day of the year. Actually, it was the hottest day in Rochester since 1993... 100 degrees, and that doesn't include humidity. My poor companion. As we were biking along I suddenly hear someone call out my name just to turn around and she is collapsing on the grass on the side of the road! I biked over to her, and she was still awake and talking but she was about ready to puke and dizzy and getting delirious (she locked her helmet to a pole instead of her bike :)). She was suffering from heat exhaustion. She was such a trooper and never even complained but it was just too dang hot. So.... that was the first day I tried to kill my "baby". Second day, we went to go contact a referral but couldn't find the house anywhere. We finally pulled up to what we thought was a home but it had all of these signs that said "Beware of Dog!" and "If dogs are out DO NOT get out of vehicle". When we pulled around to the side of the home and realized it was not the place that we were looking for I told her to get out and back the car..... I HAD FORGOT WHAT THE SIGNS SAID! So sweet Sister Chatterton gets out of the car to go back me up and I see this movement from the corner of my eye of this HUGE BEASTLY looking dog, running full speed ahead for Sister Chatterton. He looked more like a bear with his teeth bared and his horrible sounding bark. Before I even had time to react Sister Chatterton was right at the door trying to get in. She barely escaped the dog as she leaped into the car, slamming her ankle on the way in. Ah! We were both shaking once we were safely inside. Now we laugh about the whole experience, but now my poor little companion has no confidence in riding a bike anymore and has PTSD everytime we come across a dog (which happens a lot in New York :)).... I'm a good Mommy.

We're starting to see miracles in Webster. Not only do we make it past dogs but we've been able to find a few new investigators. We're still in the same ward as I was in before so we get to work with the same members and I get to still see some of the recent converts that I taught which makes me happy. The Lord is blessing us with so much and I am so grateful.

Well family, I love you all. I pray and think of you always. I love being a missionary... I can't even remember what life was like not as one :). Have a wonderful week!!

Love always, Sister Carter