Mandy Mission

"And this is the account of Sister Amanda Carter and her brethren, their journeyings in the land of Western New York, their sufferings in the land, their sorrows, and their afflictions, and their incomprehensible joy..." (Alma 28:8)

Monday, August 22, 2011

"No Faith is Ever in Vain"

Dear Family,

I'm glad that you had so much fun on your vacation!!! It sounds like such a blast. Wish I could have been there. I'm excited to get to do all of our fun traditions together when I get home.

Sorry this update is going to be a little bit shorter, I ran out of time faster today. All is going well here in New York. The work is still slow. We don't have much time in our area between sites, referral calling, morning studies, and travel time. There was one day, this week, that Sister Chatterton and I were working at the Hill Cumorah Visitor Center and kinda feeling discouraged that we haven't been able to find any new investigators. After we came back from our lunch break a man in a tie walked into the Visitor Center and started looking around at the displays that we have. I went over to talk to him and help explain what the displays were. As we were talking he told me that he was a non-member and that he was from Maryland and had always wanted to stop by here and see what it was all about. He told me about the job that brought him out here, and that he was living in Rochester for about a year to finish the work he had here. Where in Rochester? WEBSTER!!!! My jaw about hit the floor!!!!! So we talked about religion and what his background was and what he knew about the church. When I asked him if he would like to learn a little bit more he gave a resounding, "No". That made my heart drop. I still showed him around though and offered to show him some videos about Joseph Smith's life, which he accepted. So I took him into a theater and he watched the movie. When he came back out he started talking about good times for Sister Chatterton to come over.... Wait? What? He then gave me his address. And said that he would like to look around more at the other sites. Oh.... So when you say "no" you actually mean YES!!!!!!!??? I'm guessing the spirit worked on him as he went about his time in the Visitor Center, because his heart was softened more and more. WHAT A MIRACLE!!!! When he left Sister Chatterton and I had a dancing party around the Visitor center. The Lord is so mindful of us! So hopefully all can work out with this man. I found this quote that I stuck on this next transfer's planner that says, "I believe God will always make a way where there is no way". This was Example A.

Another cool thing we got to do this week was go on a grove tour. I've been on one before but because Sister Chatterton just got here I got to go on another one. Bob Parrot, took us around again to show us everything there is to know about the Smith property and taking care of the Grove. It is amazing because Bob isn't a member but I have never been so spiritually instructed before! He goes around the grove and teaches us principles from the trees and from nature that we can apply into our lives. It was amazing to walk in that hallowed ground all morning and to be taught by the spirit. Such a sacred place.

Well the work is true. I love it. Its hard at times and it seems like it may not be going according to plan, but as one member said to me a couple weeks ago, "No faith is ever in vain". I love being a missionary. Its the best. I love all of you. Sorry I couldn't write to more of you this week! Until the next one...

Love always,

Sister Carter