Mandy Mission

"And this is the account of Sister Amanda Carter and her brethren, their journeyings in the land of Western New York, their sufferings in the land, their sorrows, and their afflictions, and their incomprehensible joy..." (Alma 28:8)

Monday, December 13, 2010

Transfers

Dear Family,

Greetings from snowy New York! We've had quite the storms lately which helps us get into the Christmas spirit :) It really doesn't feel like Christmas is coming because it is so different than any other Christmas' I've had. Its rewarding in its own way though. Lots of opportunities to serve, and I think Sister Stone and I have helped put up and decorate 5 or 6 Christmas trees. So we still get to keep up with the normal traditions.

We had our ward Christmas party this last Friday. It was such a blast! Ally, Sister Stone, and I went to WalMart and bought nasty ugly Christmas sweaters to wear to the party. It must be a West thing because no one really understood that it was suppose to be a joke. People would come up and say how cute our sweaters and vests were... they were hideous! Believe me! It was such a miracle night because we had SO many less-active members of the ward come. Sister Stone and I always joke around that our calling here in Henrietta is to bring less-actives to church, since that is all we've ever been successful at, but it was so good to see them where they belong. It was good to see them being happy and having the ward members there to take them under their wing. We really live in an awesome ward. They do so much to help the missionary effort.

So we found out about transfers last night. They don't really make a difference to any of you at home because no matter what happens I'm still gone away from home :) but we found out that Sister Stone is leaving and I am staying in Henrietta. Sister Stone is going to southern part of the mission in Penn Yan, which is a couple hours away from Henrietta so I probably won't get to see her the rest of her mission. I'm staying in Henrietta and my new companion's name is Sister Christensen. I've never met her before and don't know much about her, but that is good because then we can just have a fresh new start. I hear she's a hard worker so that will be really awesome. I'm a little nervous to be the Sr. Companion though. I have to tell her everything she needs to know about the area, and I have TO DRIVE! I haven't driven in 5 months... so weird. Especially in the snow :) I think I just realized last night, though, that the Lord takes care of me. He always has. He knows me better than I know myself and I just need to fear not. I will miss Sister Stone. She's my best friend.

So I've been thinking a lot this week about Charity. Sister Stone and I had to give a training on it in District Meeting last week and it is something I really love to think about, especially around this Christmas season. While we were planning the training we read the story of the Good Samaritan. How a man was beaten up on the side of the road and left for dead. Two men, a Priest and a Levite, saw him and passed right by when another, a Samaritan, stopped to help him and gave him all that he could. I read something I loved in Jesus the Christ that says "The Priest and the Levite tried to salve their conscience with ample excuse for his inhumane conduct; Excuses are easy to find; they spring up as readily and plentifully as weeds by the wayside. When the Samaritan came along and saw the wretched state of the wounded man, he had no excuse for he wanted none." If we want an excuse not to serve someone there will always be ones to find. I love that it says that the Samaritan "wanted none". He didn't want an excuse. He wanted to love in true and pure charity. So he did. No excuses.

Well I love all of you. I pray for all of you continually. I hit 5 months this week! A whole China trip away! I hope you have the best week.

Love always, Sister A. Carter