Mandy Mission

"And this is the account of Sister Amanda Carter and her brethren, their journeyings in the land of Western New York, their sufferings in the land, their sorrows, and their afflictions, and their incomprehensible joy..." (Alma 28:8)

Monday, December 20, 2010

Merry Christmas! December 20, 2010

Dear Family!!!

WOW!! ITS CHRISTMAS TIME! I can't even believe it! I get to hear all of your voices in 5 days! Woot Woot!!! I don't think it really has hit me yet. I'm going to try and call you at around 9- 10 o'clock your time. So I can hear what everyone got for their presents and how your morning has been! We're not really sure what we're doing for Christmas yet but I'm sure its going to be great. Everything has been so busy with a new companion and lots of training meetings for the sites. There's been so much new stuff that I learned this last week. Heavenly Father is going to really stretch me this transfer, I can already tell. So, right now I have my new companion, Sister Christensen. She's pretty cool. She's about 100% different then Sister Stone was, so its something different to get use to. I technically wouldn't count myself as the Senior companion because she's been out about the exact same time frame that I have, I just know the area better than she does. I can already tell I have a lot to learn from her, she's pretty patient with me. I have a lot of changing to do, though, which sometimes can get discouraging.

So this week was my first week at the church historic sites! Since we live so far away from the sites we will only be going to one of the sites once every other week. So this week was our time in the Grandin Building. What an amazing place!! To walk the floors where Joseph walked, Oliver, Hyrum, E.B. Grandin, Martin.... so cool! Plus as a site sister we get to touch and sneak into places that you can't go into if you're just on a regular tour :) I feel like I have a backstage pass to everything! It was a pretty slow day but we were able to give a tour to a group of 9 people which was a neat experience. I love being able to stand in the place where the Book of Mormon was printed and testify that I know its true. There is a unique spirit in that place. Next week, on New Years Day, we're going to spend the day at the Peter Whitmer Farm, giving tours there. I pretty much have the coolest mission ever.

So my thought today is about a story from the Book of Mormon.... one of my favorites to tell actually. So it begins with a Lamanite prophet by the name of Samuel. Samuel was told my God, to go to the Nephite people, stand on a wall, and proclaim the time and signs of the Savior's birth, Who was going to come in 5 years. So Samuel did as he was instructed and just like with many of the prophets some believed him and some did not. The unbelievers shot arrows at Samuel while the faithful found the prophet Nephi, were baptized, and prepared for the Savior to come. As the 5 year deadline began to draw near, the believers were persecuted more and more, until there was a date set that if the signs of the Savior's coming didn't come, all the believers would be put to death.
As I read this story I try to think about what it was like for these believers. They had a testimony of the words of the prophet, they believed that He would come, but now its all on the line. I'm sure there were some that fell away from their faith at this point, but there were those who hung on to the belief that the Messiah would come. They trusted in that promise.
So the day came, and so did the sign. There was a day a night and a day where there was no darkness. When I think about what the believers must have felt when the sun went down and the sky was still light I think of the song "Oh Holy Night": ".... A thrill of hope. The weary world rejoices. For yonder breaks, the new and glorious morn..." The Savior of the world came just how He said He would. In a manager, in Bethlehem, halfway around the world. He came to save everyone of us. I really love Him. I know He's real, and I truly know that He is the light of the world. He is here to lead us out of darkness.

So I hope this Christmas week finds you all happy and well. I am so blessed and grateful to have every one of you in my life. I cried the entire video clip you sent me because I know that we're all forever. The Savior came to offer us eternity. So I hope that you have a wonderful Christmas. I hope you get make homemade pizzas, open up pajamas, and watch "A Muppet's Christmas Carol", and know that I will be thinking of you all on the other side of the country. I love you all! Merry Christmas!

Love always, Sister Carter
- Show quoted text -