Mandy Mission

"And this is the account of Sister Amanda Carter and her brethren, their journeyings in the land of Western New York, their sufferings in the land, their sorrows, and their afflictions, and their incomprehensible joy..." (Alma 28:8)

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Book of Mormon Challenge

Dear Family,

Happy Labor Day! It sounds like you had a wonderful time! I'm so jealous that you got to go hiking this weekend! And got to go to Tuachan! Now, you just need to lay in the pool with a book and you'll have what I would consider the perfect life :). I'm excited to come home to all of our family traditions together. I am very happy to report that I am feeling MUCH better! I was a little worried at first that I was down for the count but my body bounced back after a couple days of recovery. Everything feels back to normal again. I am trying to pay more attention to when I get really stressed out so I can just take a breather for a minute. I have found much solace running in the morning. I just hope that when the winter storms blow I can still find a way to exercise so I can keep my sanity :). I went to the doctor this week and he told me that I should be back to normal soon. That is was most likely just a one time thing, that my body just couldn't take one more type of stress and so my heart deaccelerated and responded the way it did. I'm glad that I'm not a permanent "mental case", just embarrassed that that happened to me in the first place.

So because I had a lot of "recovery" days this week there isn't too much to write about. President has started something really neat, in our mission, this transfer. He asked us all to come to a transfer meeting at the Hill Cumorah. So the whole mission met together and he told us what his plan was for our mission to become more unified. He wants us all to read the Book of Mormon together, in our companionships, in one transfer. So six weeks, it ends up being 13 pages a day. He wants us to pray for a vision of what the Book of Mormon can do for our areas and then apply what we learn and read every day. The whole mission is really excited about it. Not going to lie, its kinda hard to find time to read 13 pages a day (we're already a little behind :)). But I know that this is going to change my mission! I have such a love of the Book of Mormon, I think the first time I ever fell in love with it was when I was in China and I tried to read it in a week. Do you remember that? I remember closing that book, after reading it, and just feeling the fire that was burning deep within me. It was undeniable! I feel like this project is going to reaffirm that feeling and get that fire back. I'm so grateful that we have the Book of Mormon! That God loved us enough to provide it for us, and that prophets loved God enough to write it's inspired words. And I am so grateful that it came out of the ground that I serve at... that is was talked about for the first time in this last dispensation in the upstairs of the Smith log home, that the first copies that were ever put on sale came out of the Grandin building, and that Joseph finished translating it at the Peter Whitmer Farm. All four of these sites that we serve in testify of the truth of the Book of Mormon. I kinda just love it....

So everything else is good. Its so cool that Kyle got to hear from Elder Holland! What a great experience that must have been. Thanks for sending that night guard, it hasn't gotten to me yet but I'm sure it will soon. I also have some things that I need to talk to you about, about the.... (gulp) future. I need to start picking a major.... yuck. But I was wondering if you might be able (the next time you send a package) to send me a list of all of the majors the Utah State has to offer, with maybe a little synopsis about each so I can maybe start praying about it and seeing what might be right for me. I don't really want to think about the future but I don't want to be unprepared for it either. Anyway, I love all of you! Thank you for your endless prayers. I think and pray for you always.

Love always, Sister Carter