Mandy Mission

"And this is the account of Sister Amanda Carter and her brethren, their journeyings in the land of Western New York, their sufferings in the land, their sorrows, and their afflictions, and their incomprehensible joy..." (Alma 28:8)

Monday, July 11, 2011

Miracles of Pageant Week

Dear Family,

This email isn't going to be very long. We don't have much time but we tried to squeeze emailing in this week so that my new companion can assure her family that she is doing well. I remember how important it was for me, to get all of your advice and be able to tell you how my weeks had been. It still is important. I'm sitting here crying like a little baby right now. Those pictures of Grandpa's funeral were really touching. To be honest, I had a moment to cry last Sunday after I got of the phone with you, but I've been too busy to really sit down and think about it since. I was really touched by the picture of Kreigh, Kyle, and the other grandsons carrying Grandpa's casket, and the last picture of the whole Carter clan together. All Aunts and Uncles and Grandma, and I just realized in that one moment how family is everything. I don't know what I would do without any of you. This is the first real loss I've ever really had to deal with and it hurts. Its like a really dull ache that doesn't seem to go away but I know in Whom we have entrusted our precious Grandpa with. He loves Grandpa even more than we do, and He has provided the way for us to be with Grandpa again. What a kind, loving, merciful God! Sometimes I weep just thinking about how infinite and constant His love truly is. I will ever be grateful that He loved us enough to send His Son, who came to provide the way for us to get home again. It is amazing that in these moments of sorrow you can see and feel the light of the Son. There is a peace to be found in the Son of God and I am so blessed to get to wear His name, and the name of our family, right over my heart.

Well, pageant is everything I've imagined it to be.... INSANE! There is not one moment of rest, there are always a million people to talk, teach, and testify to. We have worked in the Hill Cumorah Visitor Center every day this last week and we have met people from all over the world! I've been praying to see miracles happen here at the sites, for pageant, and the Lord is sure showing His hand, every day. So many neat experiences and precious tender mercies! Yesterday I was talking to this kid that was around my age and his friend and I was trying to convince him to go into the theater room to watch the 20 min. "Restoration" film that we have. He was hesitant at first, saying that he had seen it a bunch, but I kinda pushed him in saying it didn't hurt to see it again. As I herded him into the Theater a missionary from across the room was motioning for me to run over to him exclaiming, "Thats Joseph!! Thats the actor who plays Joseph in the movie you just put him in!" ..... Hmm... awkward. So I went back into the theater room, feeling like an idiot, and testified that the movie was true and that it was very well acted :). After it was over I apologized for shoving him in his own movie but he was super nice and said that he hadn't seen it in a quite awhile... So my claim to fame is that "I met Joseph Smith this week".

Another really sweet experience that I got to witness was as I was standing in the Christus room a family of five walked in and sat down. I started the 90-second Christus narration for them and right when it started the three little tiny kids perked up and wander right over to the statue. Then one by one they each took turns touching the Savior's feet, where the nail prints were at. I watched the parents sitting there watching their children with tears running down their face. It was a beautiful thing to see.

We've got to see the pageant two times already and we'll get to see it every single night this week! It is SO well done! It reminds me of all the plays that we watch together at Tuachan. There is a lot of special effects and excitement, it is amazing that these cast members have no previous training and have only practiced this play for a week, yet everything flows together wonderfully. I love getting to talk to all of cast members and all the people who come to see it. These are definitely days never to be forgotten, the beginning song of the pageant will always be imprinted happy peaceful feelings into me.

Well, I love you family. I've been thinking about you a lot. I'm praying lots for little Kylie... how exciting! Its the new page of one of the best chapters you'll ever write in your Book of Life. I love you all! Until next week...

Love always, Sister Carter