Mandy Mission

"And this is the account of Sister Amanda Carter and her brethren, their journeyings in the land of Western New York, their sufferings in the land, their sorrows, and their afflictions, and their incomprehensible joy..." (Alma 28:8)

Monday, January 24, 2011

Transfer to Irondequoit, NY January 24, 2010

Dearest family,

Greetings from the North Pole. Or what feels like the North Pole. Man its cold outside! While we were still out visiting people last night it dropped to -2. I've been wearing lots and lots of layers! Sometimes I think back to this summer where all I did was sit in the pool and read a book.... *Sigh* what a life. That is so scary about what happened to Grandpa! I'm glad everything worked out and that you were able to find out what was wrong. Please let him know that I really love him and that I pray for him every day. Its neat because not only do I pray for all of you but so do the people that we teach and the members in our ward. All of them know the sacrifice that we give, and our families give, and sometimes when they pray they feel prompted to bless our families back home. Its a very special experience to know that you are cared about that much.

Well... its been a week. I'm just going to say that much. Lots and lots of crazy stuff. So on Thursday we called M to go see if we could come over a little earlier than our designated appointment time. Right when he answered he started out by saying "I was thinking about calling you." Uh oh......... that line never comes before anything good. Turns out that M has a friend, who is a professor in theology..... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....... So M talked to his friend about what we had been teaching him and his friend gave M some "helpful hints" about what Mormons are really like. So frustrating! I guess his friend told him all this stuff about Joseph Smith and how he was involved in gun fights, that we believe in the Blood Atonement, we practice polygamy, the Olympic Scandal in 2002 (I didn't even know what that was), and that Mormons can't get on boats! What the!!?? Are you for reals?! You're faith is going to get shaken because you think we can't go over water!? I think people need to just stop their jabbering jaw until they have something intelligent and truthful to say. The good news is that M is still opened minded about things, he just wants all these concerns addressed. Some of them we can address but there comes a point, according to Preach My Gospel, that that you get backed up to your "Wall of faith" where you have to pick what side you're on. I'm praying that M picks the right side.

So, I guess I'll tell you the really important news. Transfers. Okay..... Here is goes..... Ready? Alright. I am being transferred. I'm leaving Henrietta, after 6 months, and going to Irondequoit (I didn't even know how to spell that... my companion just had to help me) with Sister Gines (pronounced Jines). I'm not going to lie... that was kinda a shock. I thought for sure that I would be leaving the city but Irondequoit is just north of Rochester (even COLDER) in the GHETTO!!!!! I'm not even kidding. This is going to be a whole new world. There's like 9 black people to every white person there. I shouldn't have prided myself on being so good with needy crazy people because there are a lot of needs up there, and a lot of crazies :). I know Sister Gines a little bit. She's really timid and shy from what I've seen but really sweet. I guess Heavenly Father really wants me to get out of my shell with all these shy companions I've had. I'm excited though. After I got through my good cry of leaving this area that I love so much, I have a feeling of excitement for the new adventures that await (and I KNOW there is going to be some adventures up there :)). If there is anything I have learned is that the Lord knows me better than I know me so I just trust Him. Its the easiest and safest route to take. So my thought comes from the song that has been replaying many times throughout my head these last couple days, and the peaceful feeling knowing that I tried to leave Henrietta stronger than when I came here:
"So trusting my all to thy tender care. And knowing thou lovest me. I'll do thy will with a heart sincere. I'll be what you want me to be."

I love you all and think of you often! Have an amazing week. My prayers are always with you.

Love always, Sister Carter
- Show quoted text -