Mandy Mission

"And this is the account of Sister Amanda Carter and her brethren, their journeyings in the land of Western New York, their sufferings in the land, their sorrows, and their afflictions, and their incomprehensible joy..." (Alma 28:8)

Monday, January 3, 2011

Starting off the New Year Right

Dear Family,

Happy 2011!! I can't even believe it! A brand spankin new year! Just like every other holiday as a missionary, this New Years was a lot different than the ones that I've had before. Full of lots of adventures! Let me name them off for you:

#1- Helping a member move- Okay... so we didn't even really help her move we helped her CLEAN after all of her stuff was moved out. This was one of the members in the ward who has a hard time living on her own. We went over, with a family in the ward (the Porters), to help her out. OH WOW.... can I just say.... WOW! I've seen some pretty nasty things in China but this definitely made the top of the list. She was being evicted for roach infestation. One of the Porter girls started helping me clean the microwave and she went white as a sheet. There were roach body parts all inside that would fall all over our arms as we scrubbed. I finally shooed her to try and find a clean corner to stand in. Sister Porter found all these decomposing rats and spider eggs. AHHH... It made me sad (as well as nauseous). I came out of there being grateful that I have learned how to clean though!

#2- Mormon parties- That night we went over to A's to keep her company (and distract her from wanting to go out to drink with her friends). We showed her what a real party is.... playing Apples to Apples! I think she may of thought that was a "not-as-fun" way to celebrate the new year but at least she could remember it in the morning! :)

#3- Sun rise- Since we had to go to bed, that night, at the same time that we do every day, we found something else cool to do to celebrate the new year. So the Porter family has a tradition that they wake up early on New Years Day and go to Hill Cumorah to watch the sun rise, and they invited us to come with them! So we got permission from President and went with them to Hill Cumorah at 6 in the morning. When the sun finally peaked over the horizon we were ready for it already on the top of the hill, singing hymns. What an incredible experience! I can't think of a better place to start a new year.

As the sun continued to rise I thought a lot about this new year waiting and how grateful I am for new beginnings! I'm so grateful for the Savior for providing them for us! Because of Him we can always have a bright future He can always lift us out of the darkest night... He provides the sun rise in our lives.

I love Him.

I love each one of you and hope that you have a wonderful week. I think and pray for you always.

Love always, Sister Carter