Mandy Mission

"And this is the account of Sister Amanda Carter and her brethren, their journeyings in the land of Western New York, their sufferings in the land, their sorrows, and their afflictions, and their incomprehensible joy..." (Alma 28:8)

Monday, September 20, 2010

Ordinary Weeks-September 20, 2010

Dear Family,

Sorry this email is going to be a little shorter because I had to spend most of my email time taking surveys... so not as fun. I loved getting your emails! Especially about Marcy's wedding. I just love my family. I loved seeing Grandma and Grandpa, Raylene, Raychel, Celsie, Lauren, Amy... oh! And of course Kyle's new girl! She's super cute! I totally approve! I can't believe how blessed I have been in my life to be surrounded by the best family and friends possible. It seems like every day I miss someone in particular, and the things that we would do together, but its so great to have a support system that is always there. It makes me want to work even harder.

Its funny that Mom would mention just having an ordinary week... because this week was pretty ordinary. I get use to the miracles that fall into our laps all the time that when things start to slow down I remember the hard parts about missionary work. Almost all of our investigators dropped us this week. We still have Michelle who is working towards baptism which is great but every one else kinda fell off the face of the Earth. It was a little sad but I guess they just weren't ready yet. So it gave us an opportunity to start brand new. The thing is that both Sister Stone and I's weak spot is tracking. It isn't very effective and it can get so discouraging when door after door gets slammed in your face. One morning, Sister Stone and I had a "godly sorrow" moment where we both realized that we HAD to do better. People cannot come unto Christ if we don't even INVITE them to do so. So we prayed with all our might to be strong and brave and the next morning we headed and tracked the entire day. And you know what? The Lord keeps his promises. I was able to see the fulfillment of the promise made in D&C 84:88: "I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up". Although in the world's eyes we were not successful because not much came from our hard work, but there is a feeling that comes over you when you lay your head on your pillow at night and know that our Heavenly Father is pleased with what you accomplished.

There was one cool thing that happened while tracking. We ran into a family that only speaks in Sign Language. Luckily my companion is fluent in sign. So she was able to talk with them and set up another time to come back to teach them. So we went over there yesterday and taught a little bit. It was a very interesting hour for me :) I had no idea what was going on, or if things were going well or not. At one point, Sister Stone asked me to bear my testimony. Since Sister Stone and I are together 24/7 she has been able to teach me some ASL and so I was able to bear my testimony to this family in sign langauge! It was so amazing! I loved it. Sadly, in the end, they weren't very interested but it is something that I will treasure for the rest of my mission.

Well I hope this email finds you all happy and well. I miss you all. We had transfers this week and I am staying! I get to be with Sister Stone and in Henrietta for another 6 weeks. I am really excited for that, there is so much work we can get done! I love this work and I am so excited for Conference to be coming up soon! We have been reading Conference Ensigns as we drive from place to place and I have been developing such a love for our Prophet and his Apostles. I am so excited to be able to hear their words in a couple weeks because I know that they come from God.

I love you all. Thank you for keeping me in your prayers and always loving me. I think of you often.

Love always, Sister Carter