Mandy Mission

"And this is the account of Sister Amanda Carter and her brethren, their journeyings in the land of Western New York, their sufferings in the land, their sorrows, and their afflictions, and their incomprehensible joy..." (Alma 28:8)

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Another Miracle Week-September 7, 2010

Dear Family,

Sorry I wasn't able to email you yesterday. Since it was Labor Day all the libraries were closed so we weren't able to get ahold of any computers. Everything here is well! Thank you for the package! I loved it, I loved the CDs and all the candy. Thank you for sending it. A little piece of home is always nice.

This week was a good one. It seems like it has been a really long week... but our first transfer is almost over! I can't even believe it! I could be switching areas and companions in the next week and a half! I feel like I just got here! I'm thinking I'll get to stay in this area though. Sister Stone and I love it out here, we get along great, and since we were both just put into this brand new area there is still so much out here that we can do! This week we're looking for a new apartment because technically we should be living in out area but we're living in Brighton right now. Its a good and bad thing. Now we won't have to sleep in the kitchen anymore, but I really like living with the other Sisters that serve in Brighton.

There were lots of miracles again this week. We have a GOLDEN investigator that is completely amazing. We just stumbled across him. His name is Kris, and his girlfriend is a member in our ward that we go to visit often. He would come in and sit in our lessons with her but then started taking an interest in what we were talking about. So we started teaching him and he LOVES the gospel! He picks up on everything so quickly! He always says to us "This stuff just makes sense!" So this week we committed him to be baptized! Way exciting. We set his date for October 31st but then something sad happened... he's moving. He and his girlfriend are moving out of our mission! So bummed! But its okay, we've talked to the Elders that are in the area that he is moving to and they are ready to help him keep progressing and keep moving towards his date.

There were a couple awesome experiences that happened with Kris this week. One of the first ones was that we were able to take him to the Church Sites! It was so exciting because I still haven't been to the Hill Cumorah yet! So we left early in the morning, went to the Hill Cumorah Visitor Center and watched the Joseph Smith movie, which he loved. After we walked around for a little while we went and took a tour through the Smith log home and frame house. Then Sister Stone and I were able to sing "Joseph's First Prayer" to him and let him go spend time in the Sacred Grove by himself. OH MAN! I LOVE THIS PLACE! I'm sorry but I'm bragging a little bit right now... I love my mission. So much. I love being able to use these sites as a tool in teaching. There is a spirit there that is undeniable. When we met back up with Kris leaving the Grove he said "If this is how peaceful it feels to be baptized, I can't wait".

Another amazing experience that we had was the last lesson that we taught him. He is a smoker and a drinker so we decided that it was time to teach him about the Word of Wisdom. So we went over to his house and talked about what we need to abstain from and the blessings that come if we do. When we were talking he said to us "Yeah, you're right. Thats why I already quit." We were flabbergasted! After we muttered a few "What?"'s and "Why"'s Krist grabbed the Book of Mormon that was sitting next to him and said to us "This book makes me want to be better". WOW! I learned a huge lesson that night: that THIS GOSPEL IS SO TRUE! I already knew that... but it was so apparent to me that night. Even if I say the stupidest things in the world, this work WILL move forward. "The Standard of Truth has been erected; no unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing... the Truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear..." (Joseph Smith). The Book of Mormon is true. It has the power to change lives all on its own. I'm just honored enough to get to bear testimony of it.

So everything is happy. I love you all so much. I do get homesick sometimes... but President Christianson says that that is okay. Because he does too :) Our Ward mission leader is from Orderville area so he keeps me updated on everything that is going on at home! Its kinda fun to get to talk to him. Plus there is a lady in my ward who says she knows you Dad. I think her maiden name is Caselock, and her mother's name is Debbie? She said her mom use to work for you in Kanab. So it really is a small world after all.

I'm glad Kyle is having such a blast up in college and that Kreigh and Kris are able to get everything set in order for little Atreyu. When I think about him and the little "high-five" he gave me before I left I get all happy inside. I can't wait to meet him. I love you all. Thank you for always thinking and praying for me. Know that my prayers are with you always.

Love always,

Sister Carter