Mandy Mission

"And this is the account of Sister Amanda Carter and her brethren, their journeyings in the land of Western New York, their sufferings in the land, their sorrows, and their afflictions, and their incomprehensible joy..." (Alma 28:8)

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

You need happiness in your lives!

Dear Family,

Yay for Daylight savings time! Its the closest that we can get to sleeping in as a missionary! Plus it makes it nice not to have to run in the dark, in the mornings. Thank you for taking care of everything with school! I sure appreciate both of you for all your efforts. I think Dad's email came at a perfect time. I am so glad to know that life is still good after this. That the experiences only get richer and more rewarding. I feel as if I am on an emotional roller coaster all of the time. One moment I'm crying because I don't think I can do it one more day, and the next minute I'm crying because that day has ended. With all of this crying I have now become a real Sister missionary :).

We've had a pretty good week this week. It has been relatively nice outside which always lifts my spirits up. We're still finding it very hard to get people to progress in the gospel. Its weird because people will sit out and talk to you for hours but when you ask them if we can come back they never say yes. DOESN'T ANYONE HERE WANT MORE HAPPINESS IN THEIR LIVES!? I'm always amazed when we talk about how this message can improve the quality of anyone's life and their response is, "I'm all set" (Those words haunt me at night :)). Its all okay though. Sister Lee and I were talking about it last night and its really frustrating when people don't pick the right things with their own agency but at least we can decide what we want to do with ours. So.... fellow Western New Yorkers.... although you think that this is all the happiness that life has to offer, I promise you there is more, and it is found in the gospel of Jesus Christ.

We had a really great experience this week with online proselyting. I don't know if you've ever been to mormon.org but if you go to that website there is a place that you can click on that says "Chat with us". Its a place where you can anonymously ask questions about the church. Now, all of the Visitor Center's are going to be the missionaries that these people get to chat with. So you literally Chat with US! How cool huh? We work in companionships still and just wait for people to get on and answer their questions using the resources the church has online like mormon.org or lds.org. You teach lessons online to people! Sister Lee and I taught a girl from Pennysylania last week. She had just received a Book or Mormon and had questions while she was reading. We asked her if she wanted missionaries to come over and help her understand it more and she said YES! So cool. Its fun to get to use technology to further the work.

This week we watched "17 Miracles" at Site Meeting. I don't know if you have seen that yet or not. It was SO sad! It made fasting and tracting in the snow look like a cake walk! I can't believe all of the things the early saints went through. Makes me appreciate what we have so much more.
Well, family. Sure love you. I can't believe Lindsay comes home this week! Tell her how much I love her and I'm sure excited to see her!

Love always, Sister Carter