Mandy Mission

"And this is the account of Sister Amanda Carter and her brethren, their journeyings in the land of Western New York, their sufferings in the land, their sorrows, and their afflictions, and their incomprehensible joy..." (Alma 28:8)

Friday, July 23, 2010


Hello Family!

I'm not exactly sure what I will be emailing you today so i'm just going to try and fill you in on random stuff. So if I repeat myself I am sorry.

I will write you about a missionary's life since that seems to be what I've been getting the most questions about. So we wake up at 6:30 AM and get ready until we have to be somewhere at 7 AM. Our schedules vary every day in what time we do things but for the most part we do the same things. We usually have class all day long, app. 10 hours. I thought that that meant being taught by a teacher but we usually only have a teacher for about six of those hours, or less. The rest of the time we do either companionship study, personal study, or MDT (Missionary Direct Time) where they let you pick the things you want to focus on. So it is a lot of time where you can either work really hard or you can just let precious time pass you by. No one babysits you here. Its your job to obey the rules and when we do we see the Lord's hand blessing us. So we more live in our classroom than we do in our dorms. Sometimes I am reminded that the Elders are 19 during these times :). They are very incredible people though, with very strong testimonies of this gospel. Their attention span just isn't that long though. :)

So they break up our classroom time with some different activities...usually its just to eat though. Sometimes I feel as if we just sit, then eat, then sit, then eat all day long. The food here is awesome! They have anything you can think of to eat. You can also get as much of whatever you want....kinda like a cruise :). Its really funny to see how much the Elders can eat! They just pile on the food. Its their dream: eating as much as they want of anything w/out having to prepare or clean it up. Wait till they get to college :). They have some pretty healthy things the sisters like too. So i'm not up to my 400 lbs just yet!

Sometime during the day we have gym. The first day we actually worked out really hard and went running. Now we just go up to the open field and play sand volleyball. Its really fun, we usually play as a District, but Hermana Jardine (Kyle- "Hermana" stands for "sister" in Spanish :) ) and I have the same gym period so we usually play together. It reminds us of our Moms, playing volleyball together :). Only difference is we aren't very good at it! Guess we didn't inherit that. (Dad- We don't have any exercise routine we have to do every morning. They gave us a stretchy band & a book on how to use it but I haven't looked at it yet :) )

Being here is a complete different atmosphere. People are always busy doing a lot of different activities. Everyone speaking a lot of different languages, always in a rush. We are on the Lord's errand :). You get stopped by companionships all the time who either teach you a principle or bear their testimony. Sometimes in English sometimes in a different language. I feel like I'm picking up on a lot of Spanish :). The Spirit is here all the time-I really love it. The Elders are always very respectful to the sisters. Its going to be hard some day to come home and actually have to open a door for myself! Everyone just loves everyone. We're all doing the same work and we just want to help each other move forward.

Some of the random things we do during the week are that once a week we do service, usually cleaning a building. Its a nice way to help give back. We also have devotionals twice a week. One on Sunday night & one on Tuesday night. This Tuesday we had Elder Workman from the quorum of the 70 give us an amazing devotional on choosing spirit over body and on Sunday Elder.......somebody, that works with the MTC presidency spoke. There is so much to learn!

Sundays are the best! its so relaxed, just a time to kick back & enjoy the spirit. We always watch Music & the Spoken Word before Relief Society so I thought of you all at home watching the same thing. It made me feel connected to you all :). We have a sacrament meeting as a Branch. Oh! our Branch President is Bishop Lafferty! I couldn't believe it when I first saw him. It took him a minute but he remembered who I was an we caught up. It was really awesome! I feel like I'm blessed with so many friends here. My District claims I know everyone in the MTC. I've just been blessed w/ good friends throughout my life that are in good places. Pres. Lafferty called me to be the music coordinator over our Branch and also the senior companion. I'm excited for both responsibilities and hope I can fill them well. (I finally ran into Elder Decker:-) )

Paige always says that the Lord loves His missionaries and I've truly been a witness to that. I've often wondered lately how I can be doing so okay when everything is so foreign and different. There are tough days to come, I know that, but I can feel the prayers of all the people all over the world praying for the missionary's behalf; for my behalf. The Lord truly does love us. I feel it every time I turn off the light to go to sleep. He is very aware of our needs and He can make us something we could never be on our own. I"ve felt that many times this last week. I have actually felt the spirit take over when I lack and I am grateful for the opportunity I have to be that instrument, to be the Lord's hands & voice on this earth. It truly is a honor to be here.

I love the MTC. I love my companion, Sis. Anderson. I love this gospel. I love the Lord. I love you guys. I pray and think of you often. Oh! Before I forget to tell you my release day from the MTC is August 9th. We actually get to call you from the airport so clear your calendars for that :). Also my release date off my mission is December 26, 2011. I'm sure the mission president will tailor that to the needs they have but that is the plan so far.

I love you all so much! Thank you for every letter & package you've sent. I have to say I'm a big fan of DearElder.com Please keep me updated on what is going on in your lives.

Love always,
Sister Carter.


Sister Brytni Fox & I :)



The sisters in my District: Sis. Trujillo, Sis Stewert, Sis. Anderson, and myself.


My companion, Sis. Anderson & I


My District