Mandy Mission

"And this is the account of Sister Amanda Carter and her brethren, their journeyings in the land of Western New York, their sufferings in the land, their sorrows, and their afflictions, and their incomprehensible joy..." (Alma 28:8)

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Miracle lesson

Dear Family,

Hello from the rainy city. I think everytime I write you an email I talk about the weather first.... It plays a lot in your mood here. It has been so humid and... misty, lately. I feel like it looks like Forks, Washington. There could be vampires walking around and we would never know. Unless they were Edward... then I might take notice :). It has been a really great week though. I'm glad everyone at home is doing well. I got your postcards in the mail Dad! Everyone thought they were so cool. It was weird knowing you were so close to me. I have a feeling that as pageant time starts to draw nearer that I'll start seeing more people that I know. Its neat to get to talk to so many people that just came from Utah, they tell me that the weather is better here then it is there, right now. I'll take it!

It has been a busy week. Our weeks are almost completely booked beforehand. Being at the sites takes up most of our time but I love being there because I feel like I learn something new about church history every time I'm there. I'm going to be so annoying when I come back home, I'm probably going to shove all these church facts and stories down everyone's throats because I just love to talk about them now. There are so many little miracles that happened to get the Restoration of the gospel to happen in the time and place that it did! Last night, for our weekly Site Meeting, we had the guy come that restored the Smith Frame Home back to its original state. He was able to teach us a ton about the house and what it must have been like for the Smiths in the late 1820s. It was so neat!

We're working on finding new investigators right now. We had a miracle lesson with a man this week by the name of M. Bernard, our recent convert, is really good friends with M. They work in a recording studio together and Bernard told M about the church and M wanted to learn more. We've been trying to set up appointments with him for weeks but something always got in the way. We were finally able to make it to his house this week. He was a really cool guy! He is totally HUNGRY for the gospel. When we were telling him Joseph Smith's story he was leaning on the edge of his seat. He said that he can completely relate and that he already feels like there is something different about this religion. M told us that he had been really nervous to meet us but right when he saw us walking up he said he "felt like he already knew us". He told us that he could feel God working through us, and that we reminded him of Mary Magdalene and Mary, the mother of Jesus :). You gotta love these Bible loving people. He was great, though, and we committed him to baptism which he eagerly accepted. Unfortunately we don't get to continue to teach him because he's not in our area but we're excited for him to continue to progress in the gospel.

Sister Stoker and I have a lot of fun together during our work. This week alone we: 1- Got french kissed by a dog in the middle of a lesson (New Yorkers and their indoor huge dogs....). I tried to not make it obvious that I was spitting up dog hair the rest of the lesson. 2- Saw a naked butt. Like I said before, Hudson Avenue is an interesting place :). 3- Thought the second coming was taking place as an old Senior Elder took some old Senior men on tour and turned up the Christus' narration to volume 100. The WHOLE ENTIRE Visitor Center shook as the voice of the Lord boomed "BEHOLD, I AM JESUS CHRIST." There are so many fun things that happen out here, I'm writing them all down so I can remember telling you when I get home.

Well I love you all... oh, I almost forgot. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM! I'm sending you a card but of course its late (and I don't think any more Elders will be sending you a 30 inch one). I hope you have the best day ever! I'm always praying for each of you.

Love always, Sister Carter