Mandy Mission

"And this is the account of Sister Amanda Carter and her brethren, their journeyings in the land of Western New York, their sufferings in the land, their sorrows, and their afflictions, and their incomprehensible joy..." (Alma 28:8)

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

An Easter Full of Grace

Dear Family,

Happy Easter everyone! It was so good to hear about everyone's day! I'm sorry that the house was kinda empty, I was thinking about it and I don't think I've been home for an Easter in over four years! College, China, Mission, they kinda get in the way of things :). It was such a wonderful day here! I kinda woke up in a little bit of sad spirits but the Lord poured out His tender mercies and there was joy to be found throughout the entire day. We had members invite us over to join with them in Easter egg hunts, we also got invited to go with a member and her non-member friends to a St. Michael's Cathedral to listen to students from Eastman School of Music sing the Easter story. SO INCREDIBLE! The Cathedral was beautiful, and you really could feel the spirit of the music in there. I loved it. Sister Stoker and I were asked, in Sacrament Meeting, to share our testimonies to the ward. It was such an experience to be able to stand in front of people that I have grown to love, and bear testimony of the Savior's reality and personal experiences that have helped me come to know Him. The best part of the day, though, was at night when Sister Stoker and I read the Easter story together. I don't know why but I feel like everything means even more to me on a mission. I rejoice in the statement that "He lives!" and add my witness that He does.

Other than that things have been pretty normal. We work a ton at the sites so that keeps us really busy. Sister Stoker and I are trying not to feel overwhelmed with the task of taking on two areas and only getting a couple hours in our area every day. I've been relying a lot on Grace this week. A friend gave me a talk, out here, that has forever changed my mission. It is called "Believing Christ" and it is by Stephen E. Robinson. He talks about how we understand that none of us are good enough for the Celestial Kingdom. From the scriptures we learn, time and time again, that "no unclean thing can enter into the Kingdom of God". That we will try and try to be who we know that we should be, but because we are human, we will continue to fail. In this talk he says, "We want to be with our Father in Heaven. But no matter how hard we try, we come up short. At some point all of us must realize, 'I can't do this by myself. I need help.' Then it is that the Savior says, in effect, All right, you're not perfect. But what CAN you do? Give me all you have, and I'll do the rest." Then Bro. Robinson sums it up, "He still requires our best effort. We must keep trying. But the good news is that having done all we can, it is enough. We may not be personally pefect yet, but because of our covenant with the Savior, we can rely on HIS perfection, and his perfection will get us through." How grateful I am for that! I am so grateful for the enabling power of the Atonement which is Grace! So, Sister Stoker and I continue to plung forward. We are going to try and give all we can and then we're going to stand back, and watch the miraclesh happen.

I hope all goes well with the visit with Dr. Te. I'm praying that news is good news and that these treatments will have been doing their job. I hope you know that I still pray for you, every day. That the angels will take care of you and that I will live worthy to qualify our family for the blessings we need. I'm so excited to get to hear all of your voices on the phone in TWO WEEKS! (We MAY even get to use Skype, thats not official but I'm crossing my fingers that it will get approved). I"ll hopefully let you know more next week.

Well I love you all. I wish you the best of weeks.

Love always,

Sister Carter