Mandy Mission

"And this is the account of Sister Amanda Carter and her brethren, their journeyings in the land of Western New York, their sufferings in the land, their sorrows, and their afflictions, and their incomprehensible joy..." (Alma 28:8)

Thursday, August 12, 2010

New York! - Aug 12

Dearest family!

Wow! SO much to tell you! I feel like its been the longest week of my entire life but I'm super grateful for every bit of it (and even more grateful that I get 1 hour on the computer instead of 30 minutes :)). So I'm going to try to describe everything to you and I'm sorry if this gets boring...
So I have arrived in New York, I am well. Things are good. After I got off the phone with you we went right to work. We walked around the airport and tried to find those that the Lord has prepared. We talked to a woman named Janet who LOVED music so we ended up singing "I know that my Redeemer Lives" to her... in the middle of the airport. Yes, interesting, I know. Then on the flight from Chicago to Rochester I sat next to a man from California and we talked the whole way there. We talked mostly about his life and he in return would ask me about mine which was such an amazing opportunity to tell him of who we missionaries are. We talked about God and prayer and prophets and the Book of Mormon. Its SO much different to actually be talking to real live people and not the MTC "investigators". These people have real needs and concerns and our Heavenly Father is so excited to tell them about how much He loves each one of them. I'm not exactly sure how Mark (that was his name) took the message but I invited him to read the Book of Mormon, so we will see.
So as we got off the plane and President and Sister Christianson were waiting for us. President Christianson looks just like he does in his pictures!! It was so exciting to meet them and we had to run out in the POURING rain to get to the car (Welcome to Rochester!!) We went to the Christianson's home for dinner and an orientation meeting and interviews (P.S. Pres. Christianson remembers BOTH Grandparents, he even got a little teary-eyed when he talked about them). You can tell what a powerful man he is, he reminded us that God is in this work but Satan is as well. Especially in this area. Ever since Joseph walked into that grove of trees Satan has been working his hardest to harden the hearts of those in this area. He has done a good job of it too... So we spent that night in the mission home, one last time together.
In the morning I had one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Presient and Sister Christianson took all of us new Elders and Sisters to the place where the Restoration started. We were able to drive to Palmyra and walked up to the Smith log home. We walked in and talked about Joseph's experience in the grove of trees and then we were able to walk upstairs to the place where Moroni appeared to Joseph late one night in September. I was lucky enough to be the first one to walk up those stairs and it was one of the most powerful experiences of my life. The Spirit bore witness to me that Joseph was a prophet. That those events did indeed happen, and this is the most amazing work on the Earth. When we were all gathered together upstairs we had a testimony meeting then headed out into the Sacred Grove on our own. I cannot think of a more beautiful place in all the world. It was breathtaking, and there was a reverance there that I've never before experienced. I was able to go off on my own, as Joseph did and talk with my Heavenly Father. It was one of the most sacred experiences of my life. There are not too many people who can say that their mission started in the same place that Joseph Smith's started... but I can.
After that was THE MOMENT! Transfers! All the missionaries in the area gathered to the chapel to hear the decision that was made in their behalf. I'm not going to lie, I don't think I've ever been more nervous in my ENTIRE life. I thought I was going to "throw up, and then die" (:)). My new companion is named Sister Stone. She is from California, she has been here for 9 months, and she is WAY fun and energetic!! She's a firey redhead :) Pres. Christianson told me who my companion was but he didn't tell me where I was going to be headed. Right after the meeting a older gentleman told me to go into the High Councilroom for our meeting. I was so confused! He ended up being our Ward Mission Leader, and he started telling us right away the families that needed us and what we were expected to do. WOH... I had no idea what was going on! :) I didn't even know where we were going! I ended up figuring out that I am headed to Henrietta New York, which is close to Rochester (I know Kyle and Dad will be googling where that is right now), and that I'm going to on a full proselyting mission! Sister Anderson and Sister Trujillo were split up from me instantly, they are going half-proselyting and half-sites right now... That was a very sad moment. They are my family here. I really love them, but I'm excited for the opportunity to start anew and just rely on the Lord.
So Henrietta is an interesting place. Its been closed off to Sisters for the last year and a half... I'm not going to ask why :) And the Elders that were in this area before kept NO track of anything they did. They hardly worked the area at all. So its like opening a brand new place for us! So these last couple days haven't been as productive as I would have liked, mostly because Sister Stone and I have been trying to figure out what to do. Sister Stone is WAY into member work... going out to meet members and get referrals from them. Which I think it great! Way more fun than tracking! So yesterday we went around meeting less active/active members. Yesterday we went to Sister Trout and Sister VanScooter's house, members in our ward. When we called they were SO excited to hear there were sister missionaries in the ward!!! They invited us over and we went to go talk with them for awhile. Let me just tell you... New York is SO diverse! I'm pretty use to Utah, even in China they had the same type of people! Here you meet people from ALL over the world! These Sisters lived in the really run down trailor, but they were all sorts of fun. I've realized New Yorkers, for the most part, are very talkative people. They love it when people are willing to listen. We helped read scriptures with them (because they just joined the church a couple months ago) and helped commit them to keep reading. It was amazing to see the Spirit teach them!
So all is well. I'm happy. Its funny that you mention Sister Weber, Mom. We actually live in the same apartment! So you'll have to tell her Mom if you get the chance. The one thing I've noticed the most being out here is that it is VERY different from the MTC. I was told before I got out here that there is a lot of disobedience in the missionaries, and I can see it. I'm just doing my best to be as obedient as I can and try to not waste the Lord's time. I still have lots to learn and Sister Stone has been a great teacher.
For mail, I guess they want you to send everything to the mission home for my whole mission. I know, its not very convient. But its safer that way... so we just do what they say :) My P-day is going to be on Mondays while I'm full-proselyting. Oh! Something cool I forgot to mention. Every sister that is assigned to the Visitors Center has one hour of "language" study. We get one hour a day to study manuels about our sites, and the history. Its so great! I thought Dad would love that. I'm excited too because I can a learn a little bit before I'm thrown into the sites someday.
Well I love you and think of you all often. Thank you for your prayers. The Lord has been blessing my life every day so I know that He is answering them. I'm just going to leave you with my new favorite poem. Before leaving the MTC my favorite teacher, Bro Bunker taught us a lesson about ridding ourselves of self:

"If thou could empty all thy self of self. Like to a shell dishabited.
Then might He find thee on the ocean shelf and say to thee this is
not dead and fill thee with Himself instead.
But thou art replete with very thou and has such shrewed activity.
That when He comes He says this is enough unto itself I better let
it be. It is so small and full, there is no room for me."

I love this poem. This is our life's mission. Empty ourselves of self so the Lord can fill us with Him. I love you all. I miss you!

Love always, Sister Carter